Welcome!

This is a humorous and sarcastic blog written by a paralegal in a mid-sized law firm in a mid-tier market. The goal is to share some of the pitfalls and foibles encountered in my own day-to-day experiences. Feel free to contact me at aparalegalslife@gmail.com with comments. Complaints, not so much :)

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Return of the Un-Manager

Last week, everything was peaceful, quiet, everything ran smoothly.  Mostly because Un-Manager was away. 

This week, she's back, she's bad and life has returned to suck-ville.


It took less than an hour for UM to start poking into everyone's work and finding ways to overcomplicate it.  My simple Brief filing (of which I've done thousands), morphed into hours of toil re-doing everything because she didn't like the format.  Only to have the attorneys demand I change it back to the way it originally was.  Did they say anything to her?  Nope. 

Next, we ran out of toner for the main copier.  The only one we have that collates, staples and hole-punches.  This machine is the lifeblood of our office.  Since it's being replaced in another month or so, she elected not to get another toner cartridge and told us to just outsource all of that work.  Now, every time an attorney needs a briefing binder, it takes 4 hours instead of 15 minutes.  (Can you say "cranky impatient Attorneys"?)  Have any of the Attorneys confronted her about this?  Nope.

It's clear that noone will stand up to her, or go to bat for me when I try to.  It's the one complaint I have about the Attorneys I work with.  Other than being spineless and caving to UM's illogically overbroad authority, they are a great bunch. 

I'm just waiting for today's stupidity to emerge.

No comments: