Welcome!

This is a humorous and sarcastic blog written by a paralegal in a mid-sized law firm in a mid-tier market. The goal is to share some of the pitfalls and foibles encountered in my own day-to-day experiences. Feel free to contact me at aparalegalslife@gmail.com with comments. Complaints, not so much :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Getting Back on The Wagon

Last week, although it was a short week, sorely tested my patience and sobriety.  On Wednesday, I failed miserably on both counts. 

It was a stressful week filled with lots of last-minute "emergencies" that could have been dealt with much sooner or waited until after Thanksgiving.  Wednesday, the office closes early to let people start the weekend, but one of my more sadistic attorneys has other plans.  So, for the umpteenth time in a row, going back at least to last year, everyone else started a long weekend on time while I was stuck in the office for several extra hours doing work that needlessly waited for the last minute to be given to me.  (Not that I'm bitter about it...)

When all the crises were finally resolved and I could get the hell out of there, I stopped to grab a bite to eat on the way home.  For whatever reason, I got a beer and thought "just one shouldn't be a problem."  After a couple more, I ended up going home drunk and having a big argument.  This resulted in sleeping apart for several nights, and the worst Thanksgiving in memory.  It's not pleasant to spend a day with your family pretending everything's OK when you're horribly hung-over, feel like an ass, and just want to crawl in a hole and die.  (I imagine waking up in jail with no memory of the previous night is probably worse, but thankfully I haven't had that experience.)

So, I'm starting over.  Things at home seem to be improving, and I'm trying much harder now to beat this Alcoholic inside myself.  All I can do is try.

On a side note:  Why in the hell do Courts inevitably set critical deadlines on Friday, or right before a long weekend?  I could do this job for a hundred years (noooo!!!!) and still not understand that logic.

No comments: