Welcome!

This is a humorous and sarcastic blog written by a paralegal in a mid-sized law firm in a mid-tier market. The goal is to share some of the pitfalls and foibles encountered in my own day-to-day experiences. Feel free to contact me at aparalegalslife@gmail.com with comments. Complaints, not so much :)

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Busy, Busy Holidays

The Court that I usually practice in just loves to make major deadlines fall near major holidays (i.e. the day before that holiday weekend starts).  We had a brief due that kept me in the office until 10:30 PM the night before Thanksgiving.  (Fortunately I wasn't travelling or they'd have been on their own.)  Every Friday the month of December we have briefing or discovery deadlines. 

The best part?  Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are also major deadlines, so while the firm is kind enough to give us those days off, I'll be working in the office anyway, missing the 4-day weekends that my co-workers will get.  No comp time or overtime either thanks to a Firm policy that Court deadlines trump the Firm's holidays.  The Court will be closed both days, but thanks to electronic filing they can still require us to file stuff if it's not an "official" government holiday. 

This is why I hate the end of the year.  Come on, $500 Million Powerball ticket!

No comments: