Welcome!

This is a humorous and sarcastic blog written by a paralegal in a mid-sized law firm in a mid-tier market. The goal is to share some of the pitfalls and foibles encountered in my own day-to-day experiences. Feel free to contact me at aparalegalslife@gmail.com with comments. Complaints, not so much :)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Oh, the cluelessness...

At a recent all-staff meeting, Office Manager and I had the following exchange:

OM:  "I've noticed that we've been going through supplies at nearly double the rate we used to, which is a serious concern..."

Grumpy:  "We doubled the number of people who work here over the last 6 months, plus we have a much larger caseload now.  It's logical that we would be using more supplies, isn't it?"

OM:  "No, that wouldn't account for it.  I think the cleaning staff is stealing.  I've already complained to building management about it."

At that point, I just shut my mouth, rolled my eyes and looked around at everyone else shaking their heads and/or rolling their eyes also.  If she's already complained to building management, then someone is getting fired for no other reason than Office Manager is a blithering idiot. 

At some point, I'm going to start stabbing my leg with a pencil during these meetings just to see if I can still feel.  Not to mention keep myself from doing or saying something that, while fully justified, will still result in me getting fired and maybe sent to prison.

Our only hope is that the Managing Partner might eventually wise up and notice how utterly useless Office Manager is, and how much of a drain on productivity and morale she really is.  But somehow I doubt that will ever happen.  In the meantime, all we can do is band together, commiserate and work behind her back to mitigate the damage.

No comments: